Southwest Peace Festival 1970 United States

0.0 (0)


It was either rain or wind the first day, one of those wind storms of 40-50 mph. The bands were up there trying to play, their stuff was blowing over, amps were blowing over — it was a typical Easter weekend in Lubbock.
“The next day, the biggest rain storm in six months came down and turned it into a muck. It was just a grassland field. But they had gone in there and built a stage and put a barrier fence around it to feed people through. That fence came down the second day. People just walked over it out of the mud, and it just collapsed. All of this water had come in. Bands tried to play in that, but got scared of electrocution. So, they would start, the rain would quit for a while, and then would come back on.
Some were coming up wanting to know if they could get their money back, and others were still coming in. People had come from all over the country.
Mass arrests Saturday for drug violations at the rock festival site crammed Lubbock County Jail and kept law officers working at an exhausting rate.
Then Easter Sunday, a steady rain moved in during the afternoon to finish the concert 45 minutes ahead of schedule.
Avalanche-Journal reporter Bob Baker wrote, “The gathering, which promoters had hoped would draw as many as 100,000 spectators in three days, dwindled to about 1,000 by mid-afternoon Sunday, making the total festival head count something in the neighborhood of 13,000.”
Fri Mar 27, 1970 - Sun Mar 29, 1970
Floyd L. Reynolds farm
Farm Road 41
Lubbock Texas
United States
Lubbock's Woodstock
Organized by
Years active
Founded by
Robert Gamble (aka P. J. Belly)

Official Links


Arts & Acts

The Byrds cancelled; Three Dog Night came to Lubbock but never left their hotel to face the drizzle, dropping temperatures, and howling winds.


There are no tripper experiences yet.
Already have an account? or Create an account


The Floyd L. Reynolds farm near Woodrow, Texas, in Lubbock County. Originally permitted for a site near Dickens, the festival was blocked three days before its opening by an injunction of district court judge Pat Moore. The sudden change complicated infrastructure, with resulting power outages and other problems during the event.